Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lesson Summary: December 9, 2012

TEACHINGS OF PRESIDENTS OF THE CHURCH: GEORGE ALBERT SMITH Ch. 23:
“Of You It Is Required to Forgive”


George Albert Smith was a great example of forgiveness, when he approached a man who disreputed Pres Smith and asked for forgiveness for his feelings of disdain.

By forgiving others we free ourselves from the burden of hatred and prepare ourselves for eternal life.
Matt 18:21-21 - Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I aforgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until aseventy times seven.
-Sometimes it is really hard especially if we have been wronged, but we need to take care of what we can control, that's ourselves.
-Forgiving someone does not mean you have to trust them
-Forgiveness is not a destination but a process, and can be a long process
Don't let the hurt become anger.

In the Parable of the unmerciful servant (Matt 18:23-35) the King rescinded his forgiveness to the servant that was unforgiving to his fellowman:

Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. (Matt 18:33-35)

Forgiveness goes with healing form the heart.

D&C 64:10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.

Forgiving is a choice, but one grudge can affect a whole family (Romeo and Juliet anyone)

D&C 98:23-24 Now, I speak unto you concerning your families—if men will smite you, or your families, once, and ye bear it patiently and revile not against them, neither seek revenge, ye shall be rewarded; But if ye bear it not patiently, it shall be accounted unto you as being meted out as a just measure unto you.



No comments: