Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lesson Summary: February 24, 2013

Teachings for our Times:
Where Is the Pavilion?
BY PRESIDENT HENRY B. EYRING
First Counselor in the First Presidency
Taught by Talia Deccio

"The pavilion that seems to intercept divine aid does not cover God but occasionally covers us. God is never hidden, yet sometimes we are."


-Don't complicate faith, a child's faith is most pure
When Pres Eyring's granddaughter attended the Brigham City Temple open house with her family she asked “'Mommy, where is Jesus?' Her mother explained that she would not see Jesus in the temple,but she would be able to feel His influence in her heart. Eliza carefully considered her mother’s response and then seemed satisfied and said,'Oh, Jesus is gone helping someone,' she concluded."

President Eyring, in the early days of his career, had obtained a comfortable position with tenure and close to family. "But I was given by the Church the chance to leave California and go to Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. My lifetime professional objectives might have been a pavilion dividing me from a loving Father who knew better than I did what my future could hold. But I was blessed to know that whatever success I had in my career and family life to that point was a gift from God. And so, like a child, I knelt in prayer to ask what I should do. I was able to hear a quiet voice in my mind that said, “It’s my school.” There was no pavilion shielding me from God. In faith and humility, I submitted my will to His and felt His care and closeness."
5 years later a promissing offer came and tempted him to go elsewhere, he even went to the first presidency for advice. "My wife... had a strong impression that we were not to leave Ricks College. I said, “That’s good enough for me.” But she insisted,wisely, that I must get my own revelation. And so I prayed again. This time I did receive direction, in the form of a voice in my mind that said,“I’ll let you stay at Ricks College a little longer.” My personal ambitions might have clouded my view of reality and made it hard for me to receive revelation."
President Eyring was needed still at Ricks college.

-We need to become as a child
Sometimes the answer aren't what you want
Pick up and move to a foreign land, way out of your comfort zone
Can be really, really hard to do and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost
Entitled to receive confirmation of revelations (spousal, prophetic), but we have to ask and be ready to do
Obtaining revelation is our own responsibility
-In the Lord's time
-Become more like Him
Matt 25:40- And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have  done it unto one of the  least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

-Fear God not man
Don't compare yourself to others

"If we serve with faith, humility, and a desire to do God’s will, I testify that the judgment bar of the great Jehovah will be pleasing. We will see our loving Father and His Son as They see us now—with perfect clarity and with perfect love."

No comments: