Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lesson Summary: March 17, 2013


TEACHINGS OF PRESIDENTS OF THE CHURCH: LORENZO SNOW

CHAPTER 6: BECOMING PERFECT BEFORE THE LORD: “A LITTLE BETTER DAY BY DAY”

Taught by Caryl Shill
Quote Scramble:

"We all need to remember: men are that they might have joy—not guilt trips!"

"Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed."

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

"You have to create the quiet to be able to listen to the very faint voice of your intuition."
“Do not expect to become perfect at once. If you do, you will be disappointed.

Occasionally, for well-motivated and highly devoted Latter-day Saints, confusion occurs about the differences between worthiness and perfection. Worthiness and perfection don’t mean the same thing! All of us are “works in process.” We can be worthy while still needing improvement.

LORENZO SNOW
Nephi


As we move through the temple we also move up vertically. Baptism 1st step, in the basement.

None of us is perfect we are just doing the best we can.
We are commanded to become perfect.  We can step by step

We are not perfect, but can perfect things:
Perfect at turning the light off when the last to leave the room.
Have focus areas to perfect.
It is through Jesus Christ that we can become perfect.
Keep humble, we all still make mistakes
3 Nephi 27:27 - ...Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.

“It would not be amiss, perhaps, if I should tell you a little of my experience, when I commenced to talk in public, even before I was an Elder. I remember the first time I was called upon to bear my testimony.… It was something I very much dreaded, yet at the same time I felt that it was my duty to get up, but I waited, and waited. One bore testimony,another gave his testimony, then another, and they were nearly through,but I still dreaded to get up. I had never spoken before an audience. … I[finally] concluded it was about time for me to get up. I did so. Well, how long do you suppose I talked? I judge about half a minute—it couldn’t possibly have been more than a minute. That was my first effort; and the second, I think, was about the same. I was bashful, … but I made up my mind, solidly and firmly, that whenever I was called upon to perform a duty of this nature or of any other, I would do it no matter what might be the result. That is a part of the foundation of my success as an Elder in Israel.”
It can be hard to share something as personal and sacred as our testimonies, but in sharing it will grow.

You cannot measure yourself against anything in this world. Only God knows your full measure and only He can judge your efforts.

You have a sphere of control, but others have their own agency. Marriage takes two partners striving for perfection together.

"Do not expect to become perfect at once. If you do, you will be disappointed. Be better today than you were yesterday, and be better tomorrow than you are today. The temptations that perhaps partially overcome us today, let them not overcome us so far tomorrow. Thus continue to be a little better day by day; and do not let your life wear away without accomplishing good to others as well as to ourselves.14"

No comments: