Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lesson Summary April 28, 2013

“Lord, I Believe”
BY ELDER JEFFREY R. HOLLAND
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Taught by: Talia Deccio

The Little engine that could would have never made it up the mountain if he hadn't believed in himself. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

Doubt is a tool of Satan.  When we doubt our self worth, we doubt our potential as a child of God.
We must put faith before doubt
-Sometimes doubt seems safer
-We must rise to the occation
-The scriptures can help us

The Lord won't give us anything we can't handle

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect as he is.  People are human, and are imperfect as such.
"So be kind regarding human frailty—your own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we."

Joseph Smith: “I never told you I was perfect—but there is no error in the revelations which I have taught” (The Words of Joseph Smith, ed. Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook [1980], 369).

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins,witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel."

"When doubt or difficulty come, do not be afraid to ask for help. If we want it as humbly and honestly as this father did, we can get it. The scriptures phrase such earnest desire as being of “real intent,”pursued “with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God.”11 I testify that in response to that kind of importuning, God will send help from both sides of the veil to strengthen our belief."

Sometimes we think we can do it on our own, and then we stumble and fall.
The Apostles must have the constant guidance of the Lord to do what they do.
Gratitude helps
Ordinances must be perfect (practice makes perfect)
The Lord loves us even being imperfect.  God is perfect, and has a perfect understanding.

"A 14-year-old boy recently said to me a little hesitantly, 'Brother Holland, I can’t say yet that I know the Church is true, but I believe it is.' I hugged that boy until his eyes bulged out. I told him with all the fervor of my soul that belief is a precious word, an even more precious act, and he need never apologize for 'only believing.' I told him that Christ Himself said, 'Be not afraid, only believe,'12 a phrase which, by the way, carried young Gordon B. Hinckley into the mission field.13 I told this boy that belief was always the first step toward conviction and that the definitive articles of our collective faith forcefully reiterate the phrase 'We believe.'14 And I told him how very proud I was of him for the honesty of his quest."

It's ok to start with a little seed of faith.  We must learn line upon line.

No comments: